Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jewelry Commission Part I - Design

Untitled Pendant Design

Coordinating Earrings

About a month ago, I was approached by a woman in town looking for a unique gift. "Make it big and bold," she said. "Can you do that?" Are you kidding? I LOVE making big and bold. My opinion is that if you're going to bother wearing jewelry, then WEAR it! FLAUNT it! Don't be shy and put on something that no one is ever going to notice. The whole point of wearing jewelry, of collecting jewelry, of making jewelry, is for people to notice it; otherwise, why bother?

But I digress.

The first part of a creative project is to find inspiration. This time, inspiration came during my son's haircut. I had just told the stylist to take a #2 up the back and sides and scissor the top so he could still spike it. Then I noticed her earrings. Big. Bold. (And nothing like the design, above.) All of a sudden, I saw this design in my head. This is it! All those partial, foggy ideas which had been popping in and out of my head suddenly coalesced into this design. It was one of those weird, creative epiphanies you read about but seldom experience.

Next, I drew the piece to size. The pendant measures about 2.25 inches (5.5 cm) in diameter, and the earrings are as big as a US quarter dollar. It's sterling silver, formed to give it some depth, and hammered at the ends to give it some texture. Then it will be set with 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm onyx cabachons (since black is 'her color'), and 4mm CZs (since real diamonds are not even an option).

I plan to put an inscription on the back, too, but I can't tell you what it is, yet, as the recipient might guess, and that would be bad.

The earrings are pretty much the same, except the piece with the post will be a 12mm cabachon onyx. I'm thinking I may start with 12 guage wire rather than cutting out sterling sheet, too.

The shape is meant to symbolize protection, nurturing, and caring. The arms could be human arms protecting children, the walls of a pod protecting its seeds, or the petals of a flower protecting the stamens.

I'm excited to start contructing this piece, and I plan to keep posting photos as I progress, so stay tuned!


Pastel (and Jewelry) Guy





No comments: