Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Did It!


Morning Work pastel on panel 16" x 20"

Wow! It's been forever since I've posted. A lot has gone on... a new job for me and my wife for the 2009 - 2010 school year. I'll be the Assistant Principal for my building,, and she'll be Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment for her district.

And I've done one painting in the last month and a half. It started out as a challenge photo for the Yahoo! pastel group I joined:

photo by Marilyn Witt

The black and white sketch that drew in my notebook turned out much better than the finished painting, I think. Once I had the daffodils drawn in, the vase looked to big for the flowers. I think it was the distance between the bottom of the bouquet and the place on the counter where i wanted it to sit was too far, so I had to change the style of vase. OK. Then it looked really blank, so I added my favorite coffee mug. It still looked empty, so I added the scissors. Then I made the mug bigger, since I really don't drink out of demitasse. All in all, it was intended to be a quickie, so the proportions aren't quite right, but I do like the lightness and airiness that it has.

Comments?

Pastel Guy



5 comments:

magicmyst said...

Nice, it has a freshness about it. I like the cut daffodills with the scissors left sitting there. It makes you think, who cut the flowers? Congratulations on your new job and your wife's new position. Maybe you will be too busy for art now!!!

Judy Elizabeth said...

Matt! Love the daffodils! I always wanted to do watercolors or oil or anything -- but everything I ever did looked like a cartoon! What can I say...I really taxed the professor at the Art Institute in Chicago when I attended some classes...I asked him how he started his drawings...because I started my cartoons with the eyes and where to go from there! Oh, my...but I really did enjoy the class and all the other students!

Judy Elizabeth said...

...goodness, I forgot to congratulate you and your wife on your new positions! Happiness!

gypsy moon designs said...

I like the lightness too. It has a fresh spring morning feel to it.

Enjoy your new positions!

Also, thanks for your comment on Mitchell's work!

Kathleen said...

New follower here! No pressure or anything. I'm a coloraholic (I do beadwork, too) and your work sucked me right in. Came here by way of Mandy Budan whose work astonishes me. Saw your comment and had to check out your work, too. Looking forward to future posts (whenever they come!)